Thursday, October 13, 2016

Asus C100P Chromebook

Image result for asus flip
I have to say that I really like the Asus C100P Tablet/Chromebook. I picked one up to try out for my mother since the Nexus 7 that I got for her a few years ago is starting to die. I wanted to make sure it would do everything that I knew she uses a computer for these days, which is mainly texting through Google Hangouts, surfing the Internet and keeping up with the family through email and Google Plus. This Chromebook does all of that and more.

As long as you don't mind living in the Google Universe, which I don't, then this convertible tablet works great. Before using this, I had been using a Samsung Note 10 for most of my daily work at school and around the home. I still miss the ability to use a stylus to take notes, but having the keyboard has been working out okay. It is tricky when there is no Wifi, but I've been able to tether the Chromebook to my phone to get things synced when I'm some place without Internet. But for the basics of what I do every day, this works fine, and the price of $250 really can't be beat.

A couple of draw backs to the system as a whole is first of all the limited keyboard. If they had room for a few more keys like "delete", "home" and "end" it would be a little more functional. Another thing to get used to about the keyboard is that the "lock" button is located where the "delete" key would normally be and I've had to train myself not to touch that key because it is annoying to have to login every time I want to delete a character. Another drawback is that the screen sometimes takes a while or doesn't rotate when I flip the screen around into tablet-mode.

Luckily for me, when Google announced this summer that it would be adding the Play Store to their Chromebooks, this one was one of the first one's they chose. I've been using Android Apps, off and on since June and loving it. It hasn't been all great, some of the apps don't work right and using a stylus on the screen for some of the apps has been a challenge, but overall it's been pretty good. It has been such a good experience, I got my son one and he's been using it as his Tablet/Computer for a while and this has been really nice, because I don't have to worry about him getting viruses or malware on it by going to game sites on the Internet.

So as my day-to-day computer I would highly recommend this device and as for a tablet replacement for the kids, it works great.